Scrape Tweets from Twitter
For educational & demonstrative purpose / No political affiliation
Use Excel VBA to scrape tweets on Twitter.com, retrieving each tweet’s data into an Excel worksheet
Build Tableau Dashboard analyzing Donald Trump’s Tweets
– Graph Timeline of Trump’s number of Tweets from Jan. 2016 to May 2018
– Dynamic table to load Tweet content when Timeline in clicked
– Breakdown Tweet content into words & count which word is used most often
For each tweet, scrape the following:
# of Replies
# of Retweets
# of Likes
In this example, we will retrieve all of the tweets from Donald J Trump’s twitter account to analyze which ones have the most number of replies, retweet and likes.
Educational & demonstrative purpose / No political affiliation.
None – Twitter does not require an input/search parameter.
Open browser window
Browse to Twitter.com/[username]
Employ a Do While Loop on the element “stream-footer”
- “Stream-footer” is an div element used by Twitter on the bottom of the page
- The “.ScrollIntoView” functions mimics the ‘PageDown’ function and scrolls to the footer element at bottom as Twitter loads more tweets dynamically when it detects the browser window at the bottom of the page
- Add a counter parameter to continue this loop until it detects there are at least 100 tweets loaded
Do While ff.document.getelementsbyclassname(“js-stream-item stream-item stream-item”).Length < 100
For each tweet, retreieve the Time Posted, # of Replies, # of Retweets, # of Likes, Tweet Message and Link
Close browser (ie.quit; Optional)
Input appropriate headers for each column in worksheet row 1